Skip to main content

L.G.B.T.Q.N.B

What is it with all the letters?!
It can be a minefield with all the acronyms and it doesn't look like its gonna get simpler anytime soon. 

So lets begin when we had the gay pride movement (it was only legalised in 1967) although people have always been gay but they just did it in secret or got prosecuted for it. Google Alan Turing. 
This was to promote equal rights for all genders and sexualities (some would argue we are no where near to that even today). 

Lesbian, women (whether genetic or not) who are attracted exclusively to other women (whether genetic or not).

Gay used to mean happy and I like to think it still does, being out and proud should be a gay persons right. 

Transgender  including people whose gender identity is the opposite of their assigned sex (trans men and trans women)
People have always cross dressed, this isn't the same as transgender...confusing eh.

Queer had been reclaimed by the community just like other words which were once an insult has been claimed by other communities. 

N.B Non Binary, or according to wiki
"Genderqueer (GQ), also termed non-binary, is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine‍—‌identities which are thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity.

Other that last 30 years or so many more other variations of gender and sexuality have become known about but it is generally decided that extending the acronym any further serves no one a justice. 

I'm a a trustee of an LGBTQ charity and even I have to check my acronyms. 
I assume everyone knows what they stand for like in a recent video i made for the council people do not always know what they stand for. 
Unfortunately ignorance breeds fear.

If you know anyone who is being bullied because of their gender or sexuality please speak out. 
Together we can stop it.

You deserve the best so chose a specialised therapist wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds Aid Day 2018 Self Test

Founded in 1988, World AIDS Day is on the 1st December every year.  It gives people around the world the opportunity to unite in the fight against HIV.  Through community events and in private we gather to show support for people currently living with HIV, while commemorating those no longer with us having lost the fight to an AIDS-related illness.  An estimated 36.7 million people globally are affected by the virus.  In the 34 years since the virus was first identified more than 35 million people have died of HIV or AIDS, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.  The theme this year is "Know your status"  So I thought I should know my own.  I ordered a test online from here , there was just a few questions and it was on its way to me.  When it arrived I questioned why was I even doing this... I've always been careful with my sexual partners Don't forget there could be up to...

Joss Whedon, Feminist Icon or just human?

I am a bit on the longer side in the tooth of mature to have been a massive Buffy fan but I did watch it and well always having had a bit of a crush on Anthony Head, why wouldn't I tune in. The show got huge ratings but also some began to consider Joss Whedon as a bit of feminist hero not only because of his portrayal of a strong female lead but kinda just because he said so..... Well, his now ex-wife (couldn't imagine a present one) has gone to town on him, exposing his inappropriate emotional and physical relationships with others throughout their 16 yr marriage. Is a he therefore a bit of douchebag? deffo. How much responsibility do those who were involved with the infidelity take on? They would have known he was married and do you think every single one of them was a budding easily lead naive actress? The casting couch, the expectation that someone trying to get ahead would sleep with someone more powerful than them to gain the advantage over those not willing ...

Maybe Rodin got it wrong

The kiss is a beautiful enchanting sculpture, but did you know they aren't even actually kissing.  The true story is tragic as is most true love stories of course. We have all been there, the first time for me it was a teachers son in the primary school toilets. That first fumbling, where do you put your teeth, banging noses and in some cases glasses when you both go the same direction.  But as we age we forget the importance of 'The Kiss', whether the familiar delicate touch of a faithful lover to the passionate first one on the voyage of discovery.  You can tell so much about a person from the way they kiss (if they do at all), the impersonal double air (i don't want to actually touch you kiss), the lingering sweetness or the shoved against the wall (I'm almost eating you kiss).  Maybe you are a peck, tongues, no tongues, lots of lips or none at all.  Its all in our individual style, like how we wear hair or clothes. Some peoples style we like and s...