Skip to main content

Over inflated feeling of self importance...



So next June you will find me, amongst other places presenting at the NCHP conference.
Details here....Conference 2018

I'm talking about therapists being aware of the terminologies used in the GRSD/LGBTQIA+/Alternative Sexualities community to prevent therapeutic barriers.

Not only is this a completely ridiculously huge and unfathomable honour to be amongst such esteemed company but it also caused me to stumble a little at a very early moment.

I got asked to write my bio, that elevator speech, that Hiya I'm so an so aren't I bloody FAB-U-LOUS Darliiiinnngggg bit for the website.

Well that was where I stumbled.....

Faced with an empty page, words did not tumble from my fingers as there are now but writers block firmly took up residence inside my head, wrist, hands and eyes.

While talking to a friend about it I realised that actually I know a bit about stuff, nope I haven't been a therapist since year dot and I don't have quite such an impressive resume as some but in my own world I know my shit or shizzle as the Dogg might say.

I know and acknowledge my own personal experiences, I realise and point out in my regular supervision sessions my awareness of self to enable me to become the best therapist I can while joining my clients on their journeys.

But we don't blow our own trumpet very often, if at all and this 'homework' and the reflection it caused in me had the knock on affect of assisting a client of mine.

I now know how seriously difficult it can be to cram a few sentences with how bloody fantastic we are and so a clients homework was set of listing 5 great things about themselves.
I have heard it used as asking a client to start every morning by looking in the mirror and saying a good thing that happened or a good thing about themselves.
Maybe you should to try it?
Write that elevator speech, just a few lines but learn to appreciate how fantastic you are too.

I'm beginning to realise that although a tutor of mine always said I had excellent visualisation and metaphor skills, I never really believed it but that actually I really do.
I have realised that I can possess the ability to think of metaphors that translate when reflected upon but to some may appear outlandish.

On my very first weekend, I literally went to space in light trance and that's where it started. I worried about searching for a modality, what type of therapist am I? I was worrying about all the wrong things, the incidentals because what matters is with appropriate supervision, training and effort the art of performing therapy is a truly beautiful thing.

I draw from everywhere, everyone and my initial modality leanings have over time expanded into integrative therapy.

What I have learnt is rapport matters and whatcha know I'm bloody good at that.

So I sat down to write and did get it done, all while half joking I need an over inflated feeling of self importance to find the right words to measure up.

What is the point if we aren't continually learning about ourselves and others.

Embrace who you are because what you thought were faults, you may eventually realise is your USP.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.G.B.T.Q.N.B

What is it with all the letters?! It can be a minefield with all the acronyms and it doesn't look like its gonna get simpler anytime soon.  So lets begin when we had the gay pride movement (it was only legalised in 1967) although people have always been gay but they just did it in secret or got prosecuted for it. Google Alan Turing.  This was to promote equal rights for all genders and sexualities (some would argue we are no where near to that even today).  Lesbian, women (whether genetic or not) who are attracted exclusively to other women (whether genetic or not). Gay used to mean happy and I like to think it still does, being out and proud should be a gay persons right.  Transgender    including people whose gender identity is the opposite of their assigned sex (trans men and trans women) People have always cross dressed, this isn't the same as transgender...confusing eh. Queer had been reclaimed by the community just like other words which were on

Worlds Aid Day 2018 Self Test

Founded in 1988, World AIDS Day is on the 1st December every year.  It gives people around the world the opportunity to unite in the fight against HIV.  Through community events and in private we gather to show support for people currently living with HIV, while commemorating those no longer with us having lost the fight to an AIDS-related illness.  An estimated 36.7 million people globally are affected by the virus.  In the 34 years since the virus was first identified more than 35 million people have died of HIV or AIDS, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.  The theme this year is "Know your status"  So I thought I should know my own.  I ordered a test online from here , there was just a few questions and it was on its way to me.  When it arrived I questioned why was I even doing this... I've always been careful with my sexual partners Don't forget there could be up to  8,000 people walking

Sssssssshhhhhh Listen to the silence....

Can you hear that? Well neither can I, isn't it brilliant. During my supervision today I spoke about how 2 of my clients had individually unintentionally, encouraged me to internally philosophise about the beauty of silence and how it has its place in the therapy room. As an only child I grew up not saying very much to people, I spent my time programming rudimentary computers and thinking while being really shy and introverted. Now however I still have children living at home, 1 of whom is still very young so its not too quiet at home anymore! I still like my own company, time to reflect and bounce ideas around on the inside of my head, I make the most of any time I have to do it. It also reminded me that I had recently watched a television series where famous people are given therapy. I do not however watch it anymore for the 'celebrity' contained within but the therapist. Anytime I can observe another therapist work, I do as for me its a lovely way to see the