Skip to main content

Coming Out Once a year would be nice


So happy coming out day...
If its happy for you...
and seriously why would there even be a day.
Did the planets align ever soo nicely or some libido based act occur in the cosmos??

Surely the largest question should be do you really have to come out at all, isn't it your business to do whatever you feel fit.

I guess I would like to see some research figures for the proportion of people that come out today compared with any other day of the year.

All day I have seen arguments for and against coming out day and I'm sure there would be a split between readers of this to.

Does it therefore make it wrong to come out another day?
Of course not, do as you please.
But just do what you want to.
Never be forced to do anything.

Over the last few weeks I have been a busy bunny promoting Bi Visibility Day which included standing on a town hall roof waving a flag around, along with an early morning radio interview. (I keep meaning to download this for posterity).

I've talked at a lovely event called Polyday in London, met some fantastic new friends and ended up starting a new Facebook group called Polyamoury BAME UK. If you know anyone this group might help please pass it on.

Then yesterday an event in Witney publicising World Mental Health Day. A talk about Hypno-Psychotherapy and Mental Health of LGBTQIA+ communities.

Needless to say a bit of back to normal client work was much needed today.

Just before I had a client I got a message from a friend saying it was coming out day and it was an excellent opportunity to publicise a charity I am trustee of, given I had been reading less than positive reports about the event as a whole I had to really consider it.

My client was running a bit late so I had time to tweet about the day from my phone, just saying our support charity was available this evening and our contact details. I used a coming out day meme on a rainbow background for effect as photos get more social media engagement than just writing.

My involvement in Bi Visibility Day really hammered home the message about poorer mental health amongst us and could it be because we aren't that visible and even suffer internal discrimination
But the worst part is we come out everyday to new people.

Yes I'm married....Yes I'm still Bi....No I'm not greedy

Why do people assume just because you presently reside inside the consigns of a heteronormative relationship that your Bi-ness fades away and you will end up heterosexual?
Its not like a temporary tattoo...

Bull and Shit would be my answer.

I firmly believe in the fluidity of sexuality but for me wherever I am, whoever I'm with, I am still Bi.

So if someone comes out to you, don't make them come out 365 times this year...

Its bloody boring.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds Aid Day 2018 Self Test

Founded in 1988, World AIDS Day is on the 1st December every year.  It gives people around the world the opportunity to unite in the fight against HIV.  Through community events and in private we gather to show support for people currently living with HIV, while commemorating those no longer with us having lost the fight to an AIDS-related illness.  An estimated 36.7 million people globally are affected by the virus.  In the 34 years since the virus was first identified more than 35 million people have died of HIV or AIDS, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.  The theme this year is "Know your status"  So I thought I should know my own.  I ordered a test online from here , there was just a few questions and it was on its way to me.  When it arrived I questioned why was I even doing this... I've always been careful with my sexual partners Don't forget there could be up to...

Joss Whedon, Feminist Icon or just human?

I am a bit on the longer side in the tooth of mature to have been a massive Buffy fan but I did watch it and well always having had a bit of a crush on Anthony Head, why wouldn't I tune in. The show got huge ratings but also some began to consider Joss Whedon as a bit of feminist hero not only because of his portrayal of a strong female lead but kinda just because he said so..... Well, his now ex-wife (couldn't imagine a present one) has gone to town on him, exposing his inappropriate emotional and physical relationships with others throughout their 16 yr marriage. Is a he therefore a bit of douchebag? deffo. How much responsibility do those who were involved with the infidelity take on? They would have known he was married and do you think every single one of them was a budding easily lead naive actress? The casting couch, the expectation that someone trying to get ahead would sleep with someone more powerful than them to gain the advantage over those not willing ...

A blog about Blogging....why not!

I really should blog more! So today while rearranging my email signature (priorities, right) I noticed that in fact although I loved to write, I hadn't been writing my blog for quite sometime. Last weekend I went to the nchp conference in London, not only is it so heartwarming to be in a room of people who give their minds and lives over to assist in others journeys but also that it always brings me back to my own path and what I love. I had recently given a talk on sexuality to a local public school and I loved how when the words tumbled from my mouth they all made not only sense to me but those listening. It was amazing to get such sophisticated questions from some fairly young students who were soo eager to lean about how vast the sexual landscape is. I have been working on my own idea of sexual landscape to incorporate how fluid and ever changing your sexuality can be over time and in my own personal way how I have gone from heterosexuality to Bisexuality via Pansexual...