Skip to main content

Losing the baby-weight

While chatting to a friend at the weekend, I was surprised at their shock when I proclaimed that I no longer always felt particularly attractive.



 Outwardly I appear confident, competent, mega busy mum and grandma, but I suffer the same body envy of most mums. I have been breastfeeding on and off since 1994 so the boobs aren't where they used to be and my stomach bears the tiger stripes of 5 pregnancies. Of course the person I was talking to was bias and told me not to be so silly.



I lost over 30kg after my 9 yr old to enable me to be healthy enough to have another child in my late 30's. Its interesting that although I am heavier following that happy 5th birth I am fitter and stronger thanks to spinning, cycling and doing weights. In heels I'm over 6ft tall with broad shoulders so no being 'petite' for me...ever!



But then I realised most of the attention of other mums I know is geared towards losing weight.



We are bombarded by images of 5 min post birth skinny bodies and flat stomachs.



How we should be exercising as soon as exiting the labour ward. Unhelpful and for most mere mortals without personal trainers and personal chefs is unobtainable.



P!nk and Stacey Soloman have been a couple of celebs to fight back against this tide.



I've now stopped weighing myself, am eating sensibly, exercising and I'm beginning to see the realistic results i want.



So how can we protect ourselves from falling foul of these commonly unrealistic targets?

  • Realise we are different sizes and shapes and what your friend may look like isn't what you should or would achieve. 
  • We are all unique.
  • Don't weigh yourself, it can become a source of fear, panic and self loathing.
  • Focus on health rather than weight.
  • Social media is just that....media so don't believe the hype.
  • It is all about perception anyway so a bit of re-framing wouldnt go amiss.
  • Fat shaming isn't always a long term method of being at and maintaining the realistic shape you desire. 
  • Its more important what your attitude to food and life is like after leaving any weight-loss group. 
  • Harmful attitudes and relationships with nutrition won't be changed unless you change more than what you put in your mouth.
  • Remember that hypno-psychotherapy can be great for clarity, low self esteem and food related issues. 




Change yourself, not just what you eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds Aid Day 2018 Self Test

Founded in 1988, World AIDS Day is on the 1st December every year.  It gives people around the world the opportunity to unite in the fight against HIV.  Through community events and in private we gather to show support for people currently living with HIV, while commemorating those no longer with us having lost the fight to an AIDS-related illness.  An estimated 36.7 million people globally are affected by the virus.  In the 34 years since the virus was first identified more than 35 million people have died of HIV or AIDS, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.  The theme this year is "Know your status"  So I thought I should know my own.  I ordered a test online from here , there was just a few questions and it was on its way to me.  When it arrived I questioned why was I even doing this... I've always been careful with my sexual partners Don't forget there could be up to...

Joss Whedon, Feminist Icon or just human?

I am a bit on the longer side in the tooth of mature to have been a massive Buffy fan but I did watch it and well always having had a bit of a crush on Anthony Head, why wouldn't I tune in. The show got huge ratings but also some began to consider Joss Whedon as a bit of feminist hero not only because of his portrayal of a strong female lead but kinda just because he said so..... Well, his now ex-wife (couldn't imagine a present one) has gone to town on him, exposing his inappropriate emotional and physical relationships with others throughout their 16 yr marriage. Is a he therefore a bit of douchebag? deffo. How much responsibility do those who were involved with the infidelity take on? They would have known he was married and do you think every single one of them was a budding easily lead naive actress? The casting couch, the expectation that someone trying to get ahead would sleep with someone more powerful than them to gain the advantage over those not willing ...

Maybe Rodin got it wrong

The kiss is a beautiful enchanting sculpture, but did you know they aren't even actually kissing.  The true story is tragic as is most true love stories of course. We have all been there, the first time for me it was a teachers son in the primary school toilets. That first fumbling, where do you put your teeth, banging noses and in some cases glasses when you both go the same direction.  But as we age we forget the importance of 'The Kiss', whether the familiar delicate touch of a faithful lover to the passionate first one on the voyage of discovery.  You can tell so much about a person from the way they kiss (if they do at all), the impersonal double air (i don't want to actually touch you kiss), the lingering sweetness or the shoved against the wall (I'm almost eating you kiss).  Maybe you are a peck, tongues, no tongues, lots of lips or none at all.  Its all in our individual style, like how we wear hair or clothes. Some peoples style we like and s...